There’s a few ingredients that make for undeniable summer staples; garden-fresh tomatoes in a classic caprese salad, and anything involving sweet corn, such as this recipe from Mark Bittman. Since I had fresh Persian cucumbers on hand I added those, plus a squeeze of lemon and lime and a splash of rice wine vinegar. Feta also compliments this salad well, but should be omitted for dairy-free friends.
Fresh Corn, Tomato and Mint Salad
- 2 cups raw corn kernels (from 3 ears)
- 1 large or 2 medium ripe tomatoes, cut into fairly small pieces
- 2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (about 1/2 cup, omit for dairy-free)
- 3 tablespoons combination lemon and lime juice
- ½ cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- splash of rice wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Put the corn, tomatoes, cucumbers and cheese in a bowl, toss with lemon juice, lime juice and vinegar.
- Add the mint leaves, taste and add salt and pepper, toss again.