The onset of the summer heat here in Dallas creates an almost insatiable desire to consume any and all COLD beverages and smoothies, at any time of day. Sound familiar? But, not all cold beverages are created equal and we have to be careful of what’s in those monogrammed tumblers and cute carafes.
- no added sugars
- only real fruit (fresh or frozen, just no syrups or powders!)
- limit alcohol to max 2-3 drinks per week (dehydrates the body)
I enjoy putting a few mint springs in my water, or a handful of frozen berries. Just that hint of flavor makes a difference in terms of how much water I can drink. I’m also a huge fan of sparkling water in the summer months.
We tend to keep a jar of freshly squeezed lemon and orange juice for making salad dressings, but tonight I used some in my smoothie because there were no other oranges- wow, what a discovery! That zip of lemon makes the smoothie come alive. Here’s what I put in mine:
Zippy Tropical Smoothie (Serves one)
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (I used canned, but really any nut milk will do)
- 1/2 freshly squeezed orange/lemon juice
- 5-7 strawberries, fresh or frozen
- 1/4 cup frozen peaches
- 1/4 cup frozen mango
- 1/4 frozen coconut (or fresh)
Blend until smooth, add water as needed to adjust consistency.