Sweets are a rarity in this house, but every once in a while temptation strikes. I am glad I have a few safe options on standby for those days. This recipe is based upon a recipe in Pamela Salzman’s cookbook; Kitchen Matters.
Vegan Oatmeal Cookies
- 1 t chia seeds
- 1/2 c coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 c coconut sugar
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1 c oat flour (or gluten-free flour blend)
- 1/2 t sea salt
- 1/2 t cinnamon
- 1/2 t baking soda
- 1 1/2 c rolled oats
- 1/2 c unsweetened shredded or flaked coconut
- 1/2 c pecans or dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350. In a small bowl, mix chia seeds with three tablespoons of water. Allow this to become gelatinous for about 10 minutes.
- Cream the coconut oil and sugar until light and fluffy, about three minutes. Add chia seeds, vanilla and blend.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, salt, cinnamon and baking soda. Add to the oil/sugar mixture.
- Add the oats, plus any other mix-ins.
- Scoop about two tablespoons of dough to form a small ball, then slightly flatten.
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes, depending on how done you prefer your cookies to be. Allow to cool before enjoying.